Is the 'Dream' job possible?

09:00

Is it really that easy to get a dream job straight out of uni? I say although it's not impossible, it's fairly unlikely you will. If it isn't hard enough, the judgement from others (parents included) makes you feel somewhat of a failure. It's not as easy as some might think. Talking from my own experiences I left uni with a sour taste in my mouth and wasn't sure on which direction I'd take. 

You see my time at uni made me fall out of love with photography. Although I still took photo's day to day, I didn't have that spark or enjoyment for it. That's when I knew that it wasn't the career for me and that I needed a time out. 
A time out you ask? Well for me I felt disillusioned and like I'd wasted three years of my life. I soon came to realise I hadn't wasted those three years, it helped me grow as an individual and learn some valuable lessons, but still at the time it's how I felt.

I just wanted a job, but it seemed impossible. I wanted to give back and ended up working in schools, which at the start made me feel so good, but again I knew it wasn't right for me.
I'd been working on my blog and thought there were elements of what I did that I'd love to do in my future job. I had also been helping out with a family members company website and social media. It was there that I realised what I wanted to be doing. 

Since then I have worked for agencies doing temp roles in marketing, communications, social media and anything to do with those types of career. It has been frustrating at times. Going from job to job and knowing you're only there for a short amount of time isn't exactly fun. 
For someone who likes a bit of stability it made for a very interesting time. It showed me, that you know what I can do it, and if I can do that then I can do anything. It gave me the confidence that I was serverly lacking in myself professionally. It wasn't easy and did reduce me to tears a few times as I wanted to know I had a permanent role. 

I had a range of interviews and got a few jobs, but they either didn't work out or were environments that weren't for me. At times it seemed like I'd never settle with one. It looked bad to some of my close family, but I didn't want to settle. That right there is what I have always promised myself I'd never do in life. SETTLE.

I knew the right job was out there and I didn't want to give up on it. Another thing I've learnt is I am not a quitter. The range of the jobs I've been offered mostly look good on paper, but when it comes to it, it's not what they said on the tin. Sometimes the money has been there and I'm sure to some it's crazy that I've gone and turned it down, but to me it's not about that. Yes, money plays a factor but what about my happiness. That's what I've been looking for a job that encompasses all the elements of a dream job and that ultimately makes me happy. 

Although it's been a tough and frustrating time I have found a job that I love. One that makes me smile and I look forward to doing. It is a mix of everything. I'd go as far to say it's possibly the dream. 

So it is possible to get your dream job, but don't expect to get it straight out of uni. It takes hard work and determination but you'll get there in the end.
 Unless of course you're one of the lucky ones that not only knows what you want, but that has done the work to prove it. I think it makes it so much more worthwhile too, knowing that you've worked so hard to get there. 

As for those lucky ones that get everything so easily, try to remember it's not like it for everyone.  




You Might Also Like

0 comments