From Home to House

10:00


I have called this place my home for 7 years now. It is mine and Ian's home a place we have made ours. Lining the shelves with books that we have read and kept over the years. The walls adorned with years of memories, places, art and words. Candles lit and a cosy and homely feel about it. With pretty plants and all the rest.

What was once a house quickly became a home. 

But... 

A home can quickly turn back into being a house. 
What was once our home is slowly becoming a house again. This week it has hit me like a tonne of bricks. I knew it was coming and don't get be wrong I knew I wouldn't be here forever. It's just come round so quick.

They say moving house is the most stressful thing and whilst I am not having to go through the whole process just yet, I can see why. It brings with it a great deal of emotion along with the ever present knowledge of moving. This, in turn, brings sorting and organising of the things you've collected over the years. Deciding what should stay and what should go. 

It's funny isn't it whilst I don't own this house I have become attached. I think it is because it's mine and Ian's first home together. It will always have a special place in my heart. I'm sentimental like that.  Maybe part of me thought that we might one day be able to own it, but sadly not. 

Instead, it'll become a home for someone else to make memories in. This week saw the "For Sale" sign go up and with it came a realisation that soon enough it'll be time to say goodbye. Having no control of when people come round is something I'm going to have to deal with. The thought of strangers coming into my home is partly what has seen the change from home to a house. We have taken down personal belongings and photographs as we don't want strangers to see. It's all part of what makes it our home. I am okay about it all but I guess it's all just come round so quick, a whole month quicker than I thought. 

Where we don't own it there has been an air of feeling like we are irrelevant. We may rent but I feel as though it's a hotel. Like I am paying to stay and store my things rather than paying for a home. It's all very strange. It's like I am sitting in limbo. 

Waiting...

Waiting to know what is happening and when we'll move. Boxes are starting to take over the house and with it, that sense of comfort has gone. 

All this has got me thinking. Should this be how I am feeling?
I have a least two months to go until we probably have to move and obviously that means we are paying rent. So surely if we are paying that money we should be making the most of it. 
When you are renting, when does a home become a house again? Should the impending sale of a house mean that you should start treating your house as though it's no longer your home?

There are many questions that I have going on in my head and these are just some of them. 
Really though with a vast amount of people renting surely you shouldn't have to pack your things until you have to. That being said I think it depends on the circumstances. For us, we were asked to pack away some of our things and I guess it just started the process. Maybe we got a little carried away. I have felt overwhelmed and a bit drained recently which is due to the whole stress of it all and in some ways it has helped to pack. 

It's not all bad though. They say better things are always right around the corner. So with that, I will stay positive. We have a house that we are going to move into which we'll hopefully come to own. It'll mark the start of a new chapter and one I am very excited for. 

Now I just have to stop worrying so I can enjoy our first home whilst we're still here. 




You Might Also Like

0 comments