Historic Dockyard Chatham

21:28


Another week and another adventure. Ian and I are always looking for new places to go and explore. This time it was The Historic Dockyard in Chatham. It's funny isn't it, the places that are closest are the ones you mean to go to and never do. 
So, when the I was invited to spend the day there I jumped at the chance.


First up was HMS Cavalier, what can I say it is huge. Walking around you really get the feel of what it was like. It was fun walking around and I can safely say I was not made for boats. What with the small steps and rooms. I guess you get used to it when you out on it though but I don't think I'd have lasted too long. 


My favourite part was getting to sit up top. Now if a big kid like me likes it then it's guaranteed to make the kids happy. There was so much to take in and I don't think I took it all in. So, I'll have to go back again and learn some more.



Looking around the Dockyard I was so in awe of everything. Everywhere I looked there was something that caught my eye. I felt a bit like a kid again. There were many a photo opportunity which got me all excited. There is so much history and for someone like me who has a bit of a thing for old architecture, I couldn't get enough. To be honest I really enjoyed it all. 


One of my favourite parts was the Ropery. Now, I know what you thinking and yes rope can be interesting. I'll be the first to admit that I thought I was going to get bored but I didn't. This was all down to the staff. They brought it alive and made it interesting. I felt like I learnt so much. I even left thinking I never knew rope could be so interesting. With demonstrations and the ability to get involved you really felt a part of it and like you knew how it worked. If you visit the Dockyard you must put this on the top of your list. You won't be disappointed. 




Along with this a fun fact about the Dockyard for those of you who might not know is that it's used for TV and Film. Call the Midwife is filmed here. They do Call the Midwives tours for those of you who want to geek out. We didn't go but it gives me an excuse to go back. Not that I need one.


The Dockyard already has so much to see and do that you are bound to have a full day out. When we went it was Easter and they had the Festival of Steam and Transport. This is one of the fab things about the Dockyard. They have a mixture of events on throughout the year. These events transform the Dockyard and give you even more to do. 


The Festival of Steam and Transport is not to be missed. My favourite part was the old cars. Whilst walking around they played old music and it had me dreaming of a different era. If that wasn't enough they also had live performances and demonstrations throughout the day to keep you entertained.


Part of the entertainment including a funfair. Oh to be a kid again. I felt a bit silly as an adult to go on them, but maybe I should have. I mean you're never too old, right?


Along with all this, they also had the Steam Punk village. Which had people in Steam Punk outfits; It had shops, food and company stalls. 


If you're looking for a fun day out that has something for all the family then this is the place to go. You won't be disappointed. There is something for everyone and I am definitely going back.
Next time I'm taking my grandad. He remembers the Dockyard when it was a working Dockyard. I'm sure he'll be able to tell me all about it. That's what is great about places like this, they bring all the family together. 


See the rest of my day on my vlog. 

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I ABSOLUTELY LOVEEEEE the pictures! It sounds like you had an amazing time I'm happy to hear that 💕 I love looking at old buildings and antique pieces so I extremely enjoyed your post. Look forward to so much more 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful classic cars, looks like you had a great day!

    Such a lovely post x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post! I went here when I was a lot younger, I'll have to go back and give it another visit as I don't remember much about it now! Abi | ramblingsofablonde.co.uk

    ReplyDelete